July 1st, 2010
I love fish. Cook it anyway that you like and give it to me. Steam it with okra, Fry it with some bammies or brown stew it. I just love it! Therefore, can you imagine the scare I got when I realized that my love for fish might just make me ill? Well to be fair to myself, it’s not really my love for fish that would make me sick, more like the poisonous substance in the fish.
Don’t know what I am talking about? Well check this out. On June 25, 2010, the Health Ministry in Jamaica confirmed that a dangerous chemical substance has been found in fish being sold in the Mandeville Market. This substance is formaldehyde. It is the substance which is generally used in funeral homes to preserve bodies before burial.
According to the Gleaner/ Power 106 news, “The medical officer of health for Manchester, Dr. Beverly Wright, said the authorities launched an investigation after a woman reported being sick having eaten fish from the Mandeville market”.
The Health Department then tested samples from nine vendors in the Mandeville Fish Market. The investigation revealed that all nine samples had mild to severe contamination of the hazardous chemical. The Health Department says more investigations will be done to find the source of the contamination.
However, my advice to all fish lovers is to beware. Although this might never reach your neck of the woods, it would be better to be safe than sorry, (at least until this situation gets under control). How do you believe these fish got contaminated with formaldehyde? Have your say…
Refer to article: