Author : teriann
It is always amazing to me how quickly the year flies by and how soon we are on the verge of welcoming a new year. Of course as the year ends businesses gear up for their busiest period.
The increase in consumers means higher profit margins for some businesses but what should consumers beware of while they shop during the yuletide season?
Well here are a few tips to bear in mind as you shop.
- Don’t carry large amounts of cash while shopping. Use the safety of a debit or credit card which if stolen can not be so easily used by thieves.
- Be careful where you park. Some stores will have additional security during this time but if not park in well lit areas.
- Don’t carry around large parcels. Shop smart and buy only what you can adequately carry around.
- Don’t advertise your purchases. Don’t pile your purchases in the front of the car then leave it for long periods of time. Also when arriving home, try to be inconspicuous when unloading your purchases.
- Ensure that you can see your packages at all times. Too often we rest them on the floor of the store for ‘a while’ as we shop.
- If possible, shop early. Take advantage of earlier opening hours to avoid the rush of evening crowds.
- Take notice of the quality of the product. Some stores have different returns policies during sales and often it is when you get home you notice that the reduction in cost was because of damage to the product.
- Make a budget and stick to it! Although you will always have your eye on bargains, writing a list before you shop will give you clear direction on where to shop and save time and money.
So let me hear how you plan to shop wisely this season!
Tags: consumer, prices, safety, save, shopping
The opinions on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner.
The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent.
To respond to The Gleaner please use the feedback form